2013 news items from the club
- Final Details, Deuchny, Sunday 13th October - our next event is a Local Event at Deuchny on 13th October. Suitable for all ages and abilities!
- New map, new area! Hill of Alyth, Sunday 8th September - thankyou to everyone who supported our event yesterday, ane enjoyed a new area on an excellent day. Results and Planner's Comments now available.
- Orienteering at Magdalen Green, Dundee, Saturday 7th September - As part of the fundraising activities of The Friends of Magdalen Green to redevelop Roseangle Play Park, we've been asked to put together an orienteering activity on Saturday 7th September at the Green. It will be a fun quiz type activity aimed at families and children - ideal if you'd like to try walking or running round the park with a map in aid of a good cause. More details on the event Facebook page.
- Scottish 6-Days, Moray 2013 There was a large club presence at Scottish Orienteering's biggest event, the biennial Scottish 6-Days, which finished yesterday (3rd August). Club members competed on six different, but technically very challenging forests across Moray and Nairnshire, and helped organise Day 3's race at Culbin, ably overseen by organisers Davie Frame and Elaine Gillies. See how club members got on - Moray 2013 results.
- Long O, Lomond Hills, 30th June: Long O Results are now available - thanks to everyone who supported the event.
- Scottish Orienteering League Event 4, 9th June: Results are now available for SOL 4, which took place at Auchingarrich, near Comrie, today. Thanks to everyone who came along, and to all club members who helped out!
- Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Championships 2013 - The Final! Congratulations to The King Kestrel from Oakbank, who won this year's Final, scoring 540 points in a time of 38.44! Another wonderful turnout, with 117 teams competing - well done to everyone who took part. 2013 Final results now available.
- Scone Palace Evening Score - DATE CHANGE! Now on 31 May. Due to an evening function taking place at Scone Palace, this event will now take place on Friday 31 May. The Perth and Kinross Schools final is unaffected, and remains on the 30th May. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
- Camperdown and Templeton Woods, Sunday 19th May: Provisional results are now available for today's event at Camperdown Park and Templeton Woods - only mist and smirr rather than pouring rain this time!
- Scottish Orienteering League Event 4, 9th June: Entries are now open for SOL4, taking place at Auchingarrich, near Comrie, on Sunday 9th June.
- Perth & Kinross Scouts Championships and Local event, Kinnoull: Results from the Scouts Championships and Local event at Kinnoull Hill on 7 May are now available.
- Perth & Kinross Primary Schools Area Champions: In the final Area Championships event, congratulations to The Furious 3 from Newhill Primary, who won the North East and Central Area Championships at Belmont on 29 April! Results are also available from the Evening Score at Belmont held later the same day.
- Perth & Kinross Primary Schools Area Champions: In the latest Area Championships event, well done to the Nerdy Ninjas from Forgandenny Primary, who won the Perth Area Championships at Strathallan on Thursday 25 April! Results are also available from the Evening Score at Strathallan held after the Perth Area Championships.
- Perth & Kinross Primary Schools Area Champions: Congratulations to Adventurous 3 from Crieff Primary, who won the West Area Championships at Glenalmond on Tuesday 23 April! Results are also available from the Evening Score at Glenalmond held after the West Area Championships.
- Perth & Kinross Primary Schools Area Champions: Congratulations to Team Milnathort 2 from Milnathort Primary, who won the South Area Championships at Lendrick Muir on Thursday 18 April, and to The Dunkeld Dashers from The Royal School of Dunkeld, who won the North Area Championships at Dalguise on 22 April. Results are also available from the Evening Score at Lendrick held after the South Area Championships.
- Springtime Evening Score events: Following on after the very successful Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Championship series, we'll leaving the controls out and giving you an opportunity to try the same Score course or set your own training activity. Venues will be 5 areas all within easy drive of Perth. The first event is on Thursday 18th April at Lendrick Muir, Crook of Devon. Spring Evening Score Events - more details
- Moncreiffe Hill, Sunday 31st March: Provisional results from our Easter Sunday event at Moncreiffe Hill are now available. Thankyou to everyone who came along and supported the event!
- Craig a'Barns, Sunday 10th March: Provisional results are now available for Craig a'Barns event on 10th March. Thanks to everyone who came along, and to Grahame Nicol and his team for organising!
- Orienteering in Crieff, Saturday 2nd March: Results are now available for our Crieff events at Macrosty Park and Knock of Crieff. Thanks to everyone who came along, and to Jim Martin and Fiona Downie for organising!
- Sunday 17th February, 2013 Compass Sport Trophy: Unfortunately the club was hit hard by late withdrawals and unavailability for the Scottish round of the Compass Sport Trophy, held at Birsemore on Royal Deeside last Sunday, so only a small team was able to take part. Despite this we managed to finish 4th in the Small Clubs Section - congratulations to everyone who represented the club. Compass Sport Trophy Results.
- 2013 club fixtures now available: Our 2013 event calendar is now available from the Fixture List, with details of forthcoming events at Crieff on Saturday 2nd March and Craig a'Barns on Sunday 10th March.
- Local Event, North Muirton, 10th February: Results are now available for our recent event at North Muirton.
2012 news from the club
- Christmas Score 2012, Pitmedden Forest, 9th December, Christmas Score 2012 results are now available; plus an Event Report. Thankyou to everyone who came along and braved the icy conditions!
- East of Scotland Championships, Dalguise, 4th November Provisional results from ESOA Championships/SoSOL 3 at Dalguise event are now available; Routegadget and Winsplits also available.
- October 1st, 2012. Club competes at Compass Sport Trophy Final: A team from Tayside Orienteers is still recovering from the strong winds and heavy rain of the southern Borders last Sunday, where the club competed in the UK-wide Compass Sport Trophy Final of 2012 at Teviothead. Unfortunately late call-offs due to injury and unavilability reduced the size of the team, but even so we produced a better result than we have done in previous Trophy Finals - thanks to everyone who took part! See how we got on at the Compass Sport Trophy 2012 results.
- August 26st, 2012. Results for Knock of Crieff Local event Knock of Crieff event results are now available. Thanks to everyone who came along, and to Jim and Gillian Martin for organising!
- August 21st, 2012. New! Event at Knock of Crieff on Sunday 26th August In a late addition to our fixture list, we can announce a Local Event this coming weekend at Knock of Crieff. Details are available on our fixture list page. Thanks to Jim and Gillian Martin for organising!
- July 19th, 2012. Training Event and BBQ, Kinnoull Hill 29th July Final details are now available for our next event - a training event and barbecue on Sunday 29th July at Kinnoull Hill (NOT Pitmedden as originally indicated). Come and practice your orienteering skills ready for the autumn season, and join the club for a (hopefully) sunny social event! See the Fixtures page for more details.
- June 19th, 2012. Club member on Home Internationals duty: Congratulations to club member Fran Loots, who was a member of the Scotland team who finished a close runners-up to England in the 2012 Veteran Home International Orienteering Championships, held in Northern Ireland last weekend.
- June 19th, 2012. Results of Ochils Long-O event: Ochils Long-O 2012 Results are now available.
- June 6th, 2012. Results of Camperdown and Templeton event: Results are now available for today's very wet event at Camperdown and Templeton Woods - thanks to the hardy souls who braved the rain to help and take part. The event followed the first event in the World Trail Orienteering Championships, taking place in Tentsmuir Forest over the next three days (including public events).
- June 3rd, 2012. TAY Scottish Champions! Congratulations to Bill Melville and Moira Laws, who are age-class Scottish Champions for 2012 after Saturday's Scottish Championships at Glen Feardar, Deeside. Moira won W70L, and Bill was 3rd in M70L, but first Scot - well done to you both!
- June 1st, 2012. Camperdown and Templeton Woods Event on June 6th: Final detail for our Local Evening Event at Camperdown and Templeton Woods are now available - this takes place immediately after the World Trail Orienteering Championships event on the same day.
- May 30th, 2012. Strathallan Local Event results - Results are now available for the Local Event at Strathallan School on 29 May.
- May 23rd, 2012. Results from St Magdalene Hill event are now available: Local Event, St Magdalene Hill, 20 May 2012.
- May 23rd, 2012. Jamie Stevenson Trophy - TAY juniors wanted! The Jamie Stevenson Trophy takes place at Kinnoull Hill on Sunday 17 June - any TAY juniors who would like to take part should contact Club Captain Moira Laws before the closing date of 1st June. More details about the Jamie Stevenson Trophy (PDF).
- May 15th, 2012. Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Championships Final - Yesterday saw a record-breaking turnout for the annual Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Orienteering Championships, with over 100 teams competing at Scone Palace. Congratulations to the winning team - Dynamic Duo Plus One, from Dunning Primary! Runners-up were Dumb & Dumber from St Dominic's, and third place went to the Hatric Haribos from Burrelton. Full results from P&K Schools Championships - the Final.
- May 15th, 2012. Scone Palace Results - Results are now available for the Local Event at Scone Palace on 15th May.
- May 10th, 2012. Kinnoull Results - Results are now available for the Local Event and Perth & Kinross Scouts Championships at Kinnoull on 9th May.
- May 9th, 2012. More results from Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Area Championships: Congratulations to the winning teams from the most recently held Area Championships - Dumb and Dumber from St Dominic's Primary (West Area), and Fast & Furious 3 from Portmoak (South Area) - and to all other teams who qualified for the final at Scone Palace. Full results from each Championships are available on our Results page.
- May 7th, 2012. Upcoming events - including Local Evening event on Kinnoull, May 9th More details of forthcoming events are now available from our Fixture List, including a couple of local evening events this week and next.
- May 7th, 2012. Results from Glenalmond event Results now available from our Glenalmond College Local Event on 22 April. Apologies for the delay in getting this information online.
- May 7th, 2012. Results from Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Area Championships Several Area championsips have already taken place over the last couple of weeks. Congratulations to the winning teams: ACS Turtle Squad from Breadalbane Primary (North Area), Phenomenon from Viewlands (Perth Area) and The Hatric Haribos from Burrelton (North East and Central Area), and to all other teams who qualified for the final at Scone Palace. Full results from each Championships are available on our Results page.
- April 17th, 2012. Final details of Glenalmond event, 22 April Final details are now available for our next event, at Glenalmond College on 22 April.
- April 12th, 2012. TAY help make sure JK 2012 is a success! Well done to everyone who took part in last weekend's JK. Club members made a terrific effort, whether running in the sprints, individual, trail or relay events and/or helping with the relays and the social events. Special mention to Angela Dixon, Organiser of a very successful JK relay event at Newtyle, and Laura Nicoll and Fran Loots who both achieved Top 10 results in the Individual event.
- April 2nd, 2012. Alastair Dunlop completes 50 events in a year at Black Spout. Congratulations to Alastair Dunlop of CLYDE, who completed his 50th orienteering competition in less than one year at our Black Spout event at the weekend, thereby completing the Scottish Orienteering Association's 50 years, 50 events challenge!
- April 1st, 2012. Results for Black Spout Wood Event on 31 March. THanks to all who came along to enjoy the sun and run at Black Spout yesterday! Black Spout results are now available. Updated to include details of lost property.
- February 19th, 2012. Tayside Orienteers qualify for the UK Compass Sport Trophy Final! At today's Scottish Qualifying round at Faskally, near Pitlochry, a terrific team performance means the club has squeaked into the UK Final, grabbing the final qualifying place just ahead of Loch Eck Orienteers. Congratulations to everyone who took part - the club can now look forward to the final, to be held at Teviothead in the Borders, on 30 September. Results from Compass Sport Cup and Trophy event.
- January 30th, 2012. Results from Muirward Results from the event at Muirward on 29 Jan are now available - Routegaget and Winsplits coming soon. Thanks to everyone who came along and uspported the event - an excellent turnout for a January event!
- January 23rd, 2012. Local Event - Muirward, 29th January is ON! At short notice, we have been able to confirm there will be an event this weekend at Muirward Wood, Perth. Suitable for all ages and abilities - more details on the fixture list page.
2011 news items from the club
- December 13th, 2011. Club Champions 2011 At an excellent Christmas lunch at Murrayshall House Hotel, the 2011
Club Champions were announced. Congratulations to Laura Nicoll (junior champion) and Alan Bothwell (senior champion)! Congratulations also to Davie Frame and Elaine Gillies, who received a special award to recognise their activities in organising and planning this year - efforts included the Scottish Sprint Championships, Day 1 at Oban 2011, and the Christmas Score event.
- December 13th, 2011. Christmas Score - Results now available Apologies for the delay Results from the 2011 Christmas Score Event are now available. Thanks to everyone who came along!
- November 13th, 2011. Results from Crombie Local Event Results are now online for today's event at
Crombie Country Park. Thanks to all who came along!
- August 28th, 2011, Scottish Inter-Club Relay Champions! Congratulations to the Tayside Orienteers
team who won today's Eight Person Relay category at the Scottish Inter-Club Relays at Mugdock, near Glasgow. The winning team was:
Alan Bothwell; John Anderson; Dave Prentice; Elaine Simpson; Elaine Gillies; Mel, Grahame and Laura Nicoll.
- August 16th, 2011, Dundee event on 21st August POSTPONED - Apologies that this Sunday's planned event in the Dundee
area has been postponed to a later date in the year. We will confirm date and venue as soon as these are finalised.
- July 26th, 2011, St Magdalene Hill event results and report - Results including split times from
the St Magdalene Hill event are now available. Thanks to everyone who came along and enjoyed the BBQ afterwards, though for at least one person,
some of the pork chops were a bit too - um - alive...
- July 17th, 2011, Long O results with splits - Results including split times from
the 2011 Ochils Long O are now available. Thanks to everyone who came along.
- June 20th, 2011, Blackspout Wood event - results - Results are now available for last week's evening event at
Black Spout Wood. Thanks to the Nicoll family for organising the event, and to all who came along!
- June 20th, 2011, Tay Long O 2011 - Updated details of the 2011 Ochils Long O event on 26th June are now available. This year's event will start and finish at Glen Quey, near
- May 22nd, 2011, Perthshire Scouts Orienteering 2011 - Led by Dave Prentice, the club organised an orienteering
championships for Scout groups across Perthshire at Deuchny Wood on May 19th. Scouts Championships results.
- May 18th, 2011, Perth and Kinross Schools Final 2011 - Congratulations to Dumb and Dumber from St Dominic's Primary in Crieff,
who are the 2011 Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Orienteering Champions! Results from the 2011 final,
held at Scone Palace on 17th May, are now available.
- May 15th, 2011, Results from Deuchny - Thankyou to all who came along to our "Not the British Championships"
event at Deuchny and Murrayshall today. Provisional results are now available.
- May 9th, 2011, Final Details for Local Event at Deuchny and Murrayshall, 15th May: Final details are now available
for our next Local event this coming SUnday. The event sees the first use of TAY's 1:10,000 Deuchny and Murrayshall map which will
combine generally good forest running in Deuchny with, for the Blue courses, the fast open terrain of Murrayshall Hill. SUitable for all
ages and abilities!
- May 8th, 2011, Perth and Kinross - South Area Area Schools Champs Congratulations to winning team The
Blue Orienteers from Fossoway Primary, who won the Perth and Kinross South Area Area Schools Championships! Results are now available: South Area Schools Championships, 6th May.
- May 5th, 2011, Perth and Kinross - West Area Area Schools Champs Congratulations to winning team Eagle Eye
from Comrie Primary, who won the Perth and Kinross West Area Area Schools Championships! Results are now available: West Area Schools Championships, 28th April.
- May 3rd, 2011, Bill Melville flies the flag at the Irish Champs. Club member Bill Melville turned in an
excellent performance at the 2011 Irish Championships in the Wicklow Mountains near
Dublin, finishing 3rd in M70 on both Middle Distance and Classic days. Well done, Bill!
- April 29th, 2011, Perth Area Schools Champs Congratulations to winning team Shadows
from St John's Primary, who won the Perth Area Schools Championships! Results are now available: Perth Schools Championships, 20th April.
- April 25th, 2011, Easter Sunday fun event - results Over 50 people came to our "Not the JK" Easter Sunday
event at a sunny Kinnoull Hill yesterday. Thanks to all who came; results and organisers' comments are now available:
- April 25th, 2011, Perth and Kinross Schools - North and NE/Central Champs The 2011 round of the ever-popular
Perth and Kinross Schools Orienteering Championships is well underway. Congratulations to winning teams Squishy Eggs Reunited from RS of Dunkeld (North) and
The Fluffy Bananas from Newhill PS (NE and Central). Results are now available: North Championships, 18th April
and North East and Central Championships, 19th April.
- April 18th, 2011, Easter Sunday fun event at Kinnoull Final details
are available for our Easter Sunday morning event at Kinnoull Hill - see the
fixture list for more information. All welcome!
- April 2nd, 2011, Updated fixture list for 2011 Provisional details of
this year's fixture list are finally available. More
details will be added in due course - keep checking back.
- March 5th, 2011 Scottish Sprint Championships, North Muirton, Perth
Scottish Sprint 2011 provisional results now available.
2010 news items from the club:
- December 12th, Christmas Score, Knock of Crieff: Provisional results are now available for the
2010 Tayside Orienteers Christmas Score event, at Knock of Crieff. Thanks to everyone who came along!
- November 28th, Results from Black Spout: Despite all the snow, today's event went ahead. Thanks to the
Nicoll family for organising, and the hardy group of competitors who took part!
Black Spout event results.
- November 7th, Christmas Score event on 12th December: Details are now available for the
2010 Tayside Orienteers Christmas Score event, at Knock of Crieff. All welcome!
- November 5th, Black Spout event on 28th November: Details are now available on the fixtures page for the
Black Spout local event on 28th November, near Pitlochry. All welcome!
- November 5th, Kinnoull Hill event on 24th October: Very belated results and report from
our local event using the new permanent controls at Kinnoull Kinnoull event results.
- October 10th, Tayside Permanent Course Launch results: Leading results from the club's launch event at
Hermitage, Dunkeld: Long course (6.1km) - 1 Davie Frame (Tay) 63:00, 2 Heather Hartman (Edinburgh Interlopers) 68:58, 3 Ken Daly
(Edinburgh Interlopers) 71:38. Short course (2.4km) - 1 Ian McCubbin (Tay) 20:35, 2 Findlay MacIntosh (Tay) 29:54.
- September 22nd - Tayside Orienteers at Wild Gathering on 9th October Come and visit the club's stand
at the Wild Gathering in Dunkeld on the 9th October (10am to 4pm) The Wild Gathering is the first event in Perthshire's week-long
Wild Connections Festival. The club will be launching its Permanent Course
project that day with a first event using permanent markers scheduled for that afternoon at the Hermitage.
- September 20th - Park World Tour, Perth We can now reflect on a wonderful weekend's orienteering in
Perth and Scone, where club members shared a forest - and the streets of Perth - with some of the best orienteers in the world.
Reports, results and photos are available from the
Park World Tour web site. Thanks to everyone who helped make sure the event was such a success!
- August 1st - Dave Prentice, SOA President's Medal Winner 2010 - belated congratulations to Dave Prentice, whose efforts in supporting
orienteering in Tayside, particularly amongst the schools of Perth and Kinross, who was awarded the Scottish Orienteering Association President's Medal at the
SOA 2010 Annual General Meeting. Congratulations, Dave!
- June 28th - Results of Ochils Long-O Event on 27th June - Results plus splits and Routegadget of the Ochils Long-O Event are now available.
- June 17th - Ochils Long-O Event on 27th June - we have now published
final details of the Ochils Long-O Event. Enter by 25th June to
guarantee a colour map!
- May 20th - Next event - Camperdown Park on 23rd May - come and try orienteering at Camperdown park on
Sunday 23rd May! Courses for all ages and abilities - more details on our Fixture List
or download the event flyer (PDF).
- May 16th - Scottish Orienteering League Event Results - Results from SOL3 at Balkello
are now available. Thankyou to all who came and enjoyed our first ever event at Balkello!
- May 13th - Scottish Orienteering League Event (SOL 3) at Balkello on 16th May. Online entries are open until
midnight of Friday 14th May for this event.
SOL 3 Final Details are now available; plus start times.
- May 13th - Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Championships Final. Congratulations to The Looneys of
Oakbank Primary, who came first out of 126 teams to win the 2010 championships at Scone Palace on Tuesday!
P&K Schools Final 2010 Results now available.
- May 1st - Results from King's Seat/Dunkeld House event. Belatedly, results are now online for Tuesday evening's
event at Dunkeld. Apologies for the delay (due to the web site editor being out of the country!)
- April 19th - Results from Knock of Crieff event. Thanks to all who braved the wet weather to support our
event at Knock of Crieff - results are now available.
- April 13th - Details for this Sunday's event at Knock of Crieff updated Our next event is on the afternoon of Sunday 18th at Knock of
Crieff. Another event particularly suited to beginners and those wishing to develop their orienteering skills.
More details on the Fixture List.
- April 9th - update 21:45. Orienteering this weekend in Dunfermline Postponed! There is no club event this weekend, but our neighbours KFO are
holding a series of Saturday morning events, the first of which was to have been on Saturday 10th at Calais Muir Wood, Dunfermline but has now neen postponed. These
events will be articularly suitable for juniors and newcomers! Details of the series this Spring are available in
Kingdom of Fife Orienteers Spring Event Series (PDF).
- April 5th - Orienteering on TV You might have seen a feature on BBC 2's Adventure Show on orienteering
and last month's British Night Orienteering Championships which took place in the Pentland Hills in March. If you missed it,
the programme is available on BBC's iPlayer for 7
- April 5th - Easter Sunday Event - Results available Results from our 'not the JK' event at
Muirward on Easter Sunday, 4th April are now available. Thankyou to all who
- March 31th - Two additional events added to the calendar for April The club is pleased to be able
to announce two events for April - on Sunday 18th at Knock of Crieff and Tuesday 27th at Dunkeld. Ideal for newcomers and for
training - good preparation for the Perth and Kinross Schools Final! More details on
the fixture list;
- March 30th - Perth & Kinross Schools Championships - Central and East Area Congratulations to
Runner Beans (Newhill Primary) who won the Central and East championships! Central
and East Area results;
- March 26th - Perth & Kinross Schools Championships - North and South Area Congratulations to
Faster & Furious (Logierait Primary) and Musical Football 232 (Portmoak Primary) who won the North and South championships
respectively! North Area results;
South Area results
- March 25th - Scottish Orienteering League event 3, 16th May Event details for SOL 3 on our brand new area, Balkello, are now available; and the
online entry system is now open.
- March 20th - Perth & Kinross Schools Championships - Perth area Congratulations to EEK from
Forgandenny Primary, who won the Perth Schools Championships at Strathallan on 18th March. Perth Area Championships Results are now available.
- March 17th - Perth & Kinross Schools Championships - West area Congratulations to Dumber
and Dumber from St Dominic's Primary, who won the West Area Championships at Glenalmond yesterday.
West Area Championships Results (PDF) are now available.
- March 15th, Results of Hermitage event on 14th March: - a very good turnout in (at last!) some
good weather for our event at the Hermitage. Results and organiser's
- March 2nd, Details of Hermitage event on 14th March: Local event at Dunkeld - suitable for
newcomers and for training for more experienced orienteers - all welcome! Hermitage
event, more details.
- February 23rd, Dalguise SOSOL Event status As at Wednesday 23rd Feb, 1100, this event is still ON. However recent and forecast snow mean there is a possibility the event may have to be postponed. Please check the event details page for latest news.
- February 15th, TAY wins development funding from British Orienteering: The club is delighted to announce that it has been awarded a £2,465 grant for a project to develop school/club links, linked to the forthcoming Park World Tour sprint race in September.
- February 11th, Confirmation of SoSOL event details at Dalguise 28th February: Final details of the rescheduled event at Dalguise on Sunday 28th February are now available.
- January 11th, SoSOL and Compass Sport Trophy Event postponement: Due to the adverse weather conditions which have hindered planning, this event, scheduled for February 7th at Dalguise, has been postponed. Official confirmation of the new date will be given as soon as possible.
2009 news items from the club:
- December 17th, Christmas Score Event results available: Results from the Christmas Score Event at Muirward Wood are now available.
- December 4th, Results from Glenalmond event: Apologies for the delay - results from Glenalmond event on 29 November are now available.
- November 27th, Christmas Score Event update: Two updates - please let the organisers know by 1st December if you wish to attend the Christmas meal; also the Short Score will now be 45 mintes time limit instead of 30 as previously stated. Christmas Score Event details.
- November 16th, Results from Crombie Event: Results from the event at Crombie Country Park, 15th November are now available.
- November 11th, Christmas Score Event details available: Details are now available for the 2009 version of the club's annual Christmas Score Event at Muirward Wood, Scone, 13th December.
- October 27th, Autumn event at Crombie and Glenalmond: Two late additions to the club's fixture list - Local Events at Crombie Country Park on Sunday 15th November and Glenalmond on Sunday 29th November. More details on the fixture list. All welcome!
- October 19th, 2009 Club AGM: A reminder that the Club's AGM takes place on Thursday 22nd October at the Mountaineering Council of Scotland offices in Perth, with a social to follow. All club members are welcome, and encouraged to attend!
- October 18th, Pippa Weir, Scottish Sprint Champion: Belated congratulations to Pippa Weir, who won the W45 class at the Scottish Sprint Championships held recently at Lossiemouth.
- September 7th, 11 person relay team: Good luck to Liz, Elaine S, Paul, Fiona, Allan, John A, John O, Mel, Dave P, Duncan and Angela - our team for the Scottish 11-person relay event at Faskally on Saturday September 19th.
- September 7th, Kinnoull Hill results: Results from our Kinnoull event are now available.
- August 27th: Clatto and Templeton results; details of Kinnoull event on 6th Sept Results from our Clatto and Templeton event are now available; the next event will be at Kinnoull Hill, Perth, on Sunday 6th September - start times from 1030 to 1230.
- August 20th: St Magdalene Hill event results A small turnout at the St Mags event - but Sacha Parkin did the white course, Catriona and Finlay McIntosh went round the yellow course together and Davie Frame and Robert Thornton went round the light green course. Next event is at Clatto Country Park, Dundee, on Tuesday 25th August - start times from 1730 to 1900.
- August 20th: Post-Scottish 6 Days orienteering: After a very successful Scottish 6 Day 2009 event, The club is holding a series of events for people interested in trying out orienteering, or developing their skills. These events are at St Magdalene Hill, Perth, 18th August, and Clatto Country Park, Dundee, 25th August. More details of forthcoming fixtures.
- July 22nd: Training for the Scottish 6 days, July 26th and 28th: In the run-up to Tay 2009, various training opportunities will be available: including two sessions at the Hermitage, Dunkeld. More details of training opportunities.
- July 21st: Sprint Orienteering at Scone Palace, August 5th: As part of Tay 2009, Tayside Orienteers are holding a Sprint Orienteering event at Scone Palace. Forth Valley Orienteers are holding a Mountain Bike Orienteering event earlier the same day, at Blairadam, Kelty. Entries for both are still open! Details of Tay 2009 Sprint Orienteering and Mountain Bike Orienteering events.
- July 21st: Tay 2009 less than two weeks away! With less than 2 weeks until the Scottish 6 Days Tay 2009 event, a reminder that courses suitable for all abilities will still be available to people who want to turn up on the day. See the fixture list for more details.
- July 21st: Autumn Fixtures updated: To follow up Tay 2009, we'll be holding two Tuesday evening events on 18th and 25th August, and a Sunday morning event on 6th September. Outline details on the fixture list; more details will follow.
- June 16th: Results for Ochils Long O: Long O results, plus organiser's comments now available.
- June 10th: Final details published for Ochils Long O: We recommend all competitors read the final details of the Long O Event on 14th June.
- May 29th: Online entries open for Ochils Long O: You can now enter online for the Tay Long Orienteering Event on 14th June via Oentries.com. Long O Event details.
- May 22nd: Perth and Kinross Schools Championship report Read the review of the 2009 Perth and Kinross Schools Championships.
- May 15th: Perth and Kinross Schools Champions Congratulations to this year's champions - The News Team from Dunning Primary, and to the other 114 teams who took part.
- May 8th: Ochils 'Long O' Event event information: Announcing our Long Orienteering event in the Ochil Hills on 14th June! Event details, including location, courses and entry fees are now available.
- May 8th: St Magdalene Hill results: Results from our local 'come and try it' event at St Magdalene Hill on 2 and 3 May are now available.
- April 28th: P&K Schools - South championships: Congratulations to Typhoon of Kinross Primary, the winning team - full details in the South Schools Championships results.
- April 27th: Updated fixtures information: We now have more details of forthcoming club events this year - see our 2009 Fixtures.
- April 6th: Huge turnout for SOL 1 at Auchingarrich: In the end, over 550 competitors took part in our SOL 1 event at Auchingarrich. Thanks to everyone who helped make this event such a success, and especially to Dave P (organiser) and Roos (planner). SOL 1 Results.
- April 1st: SOL 1, Auchingarrich: Final race information, including start times, now available SOL 1, Auchingarrich: Final Details.
- April 1st: P&K Schools - North and Perth Area championships! Congratulations to Ice Bears from Abernethy Primary who won the Perth Area Primary Schools Championships, and 2 Amigos & it from Breadalbane Primary who won the North Area Primary Schools Championships! Latest results from Schools Area Championships.
- March 21st: P&K Schools - North-East Area championships! Congratulations to Rattray Rovers from Rattray Primary who won the Perth and Kinross North-East Area Primary Schools Championships! Results from North-East Area Championships.
- March 16th: P&K Schools - West Area championships! Congratulations to The News Team from Dunning primary who won the Perth and Kinross West Area Primary Schools Championships! Results from West Area Championships.
- February 12th: Entries open for SOL 1! Entries are now open for Tayside Orienteers' Scottish Orienteering League (SOL) Event at Auchingarrich, Comrie, on 5th April. For more information and access to the online entry facility, see the event details.
2008 news items from the club:
- 15th December - Results from Christmas Score event now available: plus organiser's comments. Thanks to everyone who came along, and congratulations to all the prizewinners! Christmas Score event 2008 - results.
- 9th December - Updated Christmas Score event details now available: including more details on courses, the meal plans and information about the Palace itself Christmas Score event 2008 - final details.
- 10th November - Christmas Score event details now available: the Club's annual Christmas Score event plus meal afterwards takes place this year at Scone Palace. All welcome! Christmas Score event 2008 - more details.
- 10th November - Results from Pitmedden now available: Thanks to everyone who came to our event yesterday - results from Pitmedden are now available..
- 5th November - Pitmedden Forest event, Sunday 9th November: Final details are available for the club's Local event on Sunday 9th November at Pitmedden Forest, Abernethy. Courses available for all ages and abilities. No need to enter in advance - see our Fixture List for full details!
- 27th October - Club members survive the Original Mountain Marathon: As orienteering in the form of the Original Mountain Marathon (OMM) gained some unprecedented, if controversial, publicity last weekend, a number of Tayside Orienteers appeared in nationwide media coverage. Jim Aitken and daughter Alexandra were interviewed in a BBC article on the race while Dave Prentice appeared in a similar article in The Times.
- 27th October - Scottish Orienteering League success: Several club members have produced fine results in the latest Scottish Orienteering (SOL) league events at Inshriach (SOL 6, 12th October) and Craig a'Barns (SOL 7, 26th October). Grahame Nicoll won the M50S class at both SOL 6 and SOL 7, while there have also been good results for Duncan Raitt, Laura Nicoll, Evie Aitken and Moira Laws. Final club members' placings in the 2008 Scottish Orienteering League will be announced here as soon as they are published.
- 20th October - Compass Sport Trophy Final: 11 club members represented Tayside Orienteers in the UK Final of the Compass Sport Trophy at Sutton Park, Birmingham. While our incomplete team was ultimately outscored by stronger clubs (and many congratulations to our neighbours Forth Valley Orienteers for their victory!), everyone who made the long trip to the English Midlands contributed to a respectable result in what was our second final in three years. For more details, see the Compass Sport Trophy Results.
- 8th October - South of Scotland Award Winners: Several club members gained awards for their performances in the 2007-08 South of Scotland Orienteering League: Pippa Weir, 1st overall and Evie Aitken 3rd Junior Woman on the Green course; Euan Reid, 2nd overall on the Yellow course;
Stewart Reid, 3rd overall on the Brown course, and Hamish Weir and Mairi Weir for completing 5 events on the White course. Congratulations to you all!
- 8th October - Tay member helps Scotland win the Home Internationals: Congratulations to club member Phil Smithard, who was part of the Scotland team who won the Veteran Home Internationals, which took place last weekend in Limavady, Northern Ireland. Phil's results helped Scotland to edge out England by just two points overall. Well done Phil and the team!
- 5th October - SoSOL1, the Hermitage: Provisional Results are now available for SoSOL1 at the Hermitage. Thanks to all who came, and all who helped to make the event a success!
- 16th September - Tay juniors shine at the Jamie Stevenson Trophy event: Congratulations to the seven Tayside Juniors who competed at the Jamie Stevenson Trophy at St Magdalene's Hill on September 14. The team came 8th out of 12 Scottish clubs with 511 points. Particularly noteworthy were Christopher Bendall 6th on Orange, Isla Bendall 8th on Yellow Girls and Arran Williams 7th on Yellow Boys, but the most important fact is that Tayside raised a full team. Well done. The competition was won by MAROC who brought a big busload! Jamie Stevenson Trophy Results.
- 10th September - Final Details for SoSOL 1 event on 5th October: Final details are now available for the first event in the 2008-09 South of Scotland Orienteering League, to be held by the Club at The Hermitage, Dunkeld, on 5th October.
- 11th August - Long 'O' Event, Ochil Hills. Results now available: Results from the Long 'O' event on Sunday 3rd August in Glendevon are now available.
- 3rd July - Long 'O' Event, Ochil Hills, on 3rd August: Details are now available of the club's Long 'O' event on Sunday 3rd August in Glendevon.
- 13th May - Kenmore Primary win the 2008 Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Championships: Congratulations to The Killer Horses team from Kenmore, who won a very close contest at Scone Palace. Full results from P&K Schools Championships.
- 5th May - Norman's Law results now available!: 56 people enjoyed the sun and occasional rain shower at our local event on Norman's Law yesterday - thanks everyone for coming! Results and Officials' comments now available.
- 27th April - Norman's Law event on 4th May, car parking location: Car Parking will be at Denmuir Farm, signposted off A913 Newburgh to Cupar road 2km west of the A92 Parbroath crossroads.
- 7th April - St Magdalene Hill event results: Thanks to everyone who came along to our first event of 2008 yesterday. Results from St Magdalene Hill now available.
- 30th March - Finally, the site is updated: Apologies for the long wait for updates to this site - at last, fixtures have now been updated with 2008 event details.
2007 news items from the club.
- 3rd December - Christmas Score 2007 results: With a record turnout of over 100 competitors, the 2007 Christmas Score event was the club's biggest and best yet! Thanks to everyone who came, and everyone who helped make sure the event was such a success. Summary and full results are now available.
- 15th November - Christmas Score 2007 final details: Final details now available for the club's annual Christmas Score Event. This year's event takes on a Harry Potter theme, set in the Hogwarts-style Glenalmond College. Christmas Score 2007 final information.
- 29th October - SoSOL 1 Organiser's Comments and Feedback added: Comments from the Organiser Dave Prentice, including a review of the event quality feedback survey, are now available, along with String Course results, from the Culteuchar Results Page.
- 21st October - Club Champions 2007: At Culteuchar today, the provisional results of the 2007 Club Championships are: Men - David Weir; Women - Pippa Weir; Vet (50+) Men - Phil Smithard, Women - Katharine Melville; Junior (u-16) Girls - Evie Aitken, Boys - Chris Bendall. Congratulations to our new Club Champions!
- 21st October - SoSOL 1 Results: Provisional results for SoSOL 1 at Culteuchar on 21st Oct are now available, courtesy of Robin Strain. There were some excellent performances from Tay members, including class wins for Isla Bendall (White), Steve Clelland (Red) and Evie Aitken (Light Green), plus 2nd place for Chris Bendall (Yellow) and several other top 10 placings. Well done everyone!
- 18th October - Updated final Details for SoSOL 1 at Culteuchar on 21st Oct - with more news on improved parking access arrangements. See final details for SoSOL1 at Culteuchar on 21st October.
- 1st October - EUOC wins the 11 Person Relay! Results from the Scottish 11 Person Relay held by Tayside Orienteers at Kinnoull Hill are now available. Congratulations to the winners EUOC Legends (Edinburgh University); and Clyde Destroyers who won the Handicap trophy.
- 24th September - 11 Person Relay, Kinnoull Hill, Saturday 29th September - Final Details now available online.
- 18th September - Scottish 11 Person Relay. On Saturday 29th September, Tayside Orienteers hosts the 11 Person Relay at Kinnoull Hill, Perth. Mass start at 1pm. Club entries only, through club secretaries. Full final details will be published here in the next couple of days, but in the meantime, for more information, contact the organiser Steven Clelland: tel 07903 682553 or email stevenclelland @ hotmail.com.
- 3rd September - Sunday September 2nd Local event at Dalguise and Sophia Wood - Dalguise results now available.
- 20th August - Hermitage Time Trial and Trail Race Forth valley's Martin Dean set the fastest time on the Trail Race with Marianne Young first woman home. Steve Clelland of Tayside Orienteers won the 5km Time Trial, with Tayside junior Abigail Williams fastest woman of the day. Hermitage results.
- 14th August - Details confirmed of Tuesday evening event at St Magdalene Hill on 21st August. Sorry for the short notice - more details are now available of next Tuesday's evening event at St Magdalene Hill. See the Forthcoming events details on this page...
- 23rd July - Results available from Tentsmuir, 22nd July. Despite the initially very wet weather, and the last day of The Open taking place across the Tay at Carnoustie, our Tentsmuir event attracted a healthy turnout - so thanks to all who came along! Tentsmuir results.
- 20th July - Scottish 6-Day 2009 Web site launched. The biennial Scottish 6-Day Orienteering Competition will take place in Tayside in 2009, with the event centre at Perth Racecourse. More details are available on the Scottish 6 Day - Tay 2009 web site.
- 21st June - Details announced of two exciting summer events. For something a little bit different over the summer, see details on this page of our Long Orienteering Event taking place on the 15th July in the Ochil Hills, and the Hermitage 5km Race and Time Trial, on the 18th August at Dunkeld.
- 18th June - club success at Scottish Championships. Congratulations to club chairman Bill Melville who became M65 Scottish Champion at Loch Doon on Saturday! He keeps the trophy in the club, won last year by David Combe.
- 18th May - Perth and Kinross Schools Championships 2007 final. Congratulations to Flaming Fire Bandits from Luncarty Primary, 2007 Perth and Kinross Primary Champions! Report and Results from 2007 schools final.
- 16th May - Tayside Orienteers' Evie Aitken selected for British Junior Squad tour. Evie Aitken has been selected by British Orienteering for a place on a summer training camp on Speyside - a great recognition of her recent performances and potential. Well done Evie!
- 27th April - Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Orienteering Championships. "Fast and Furious" from Dunning Primary win the South Area Championships and "Sharks" from Rattray Primary win the North East Area Championships.
- 24th April - Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Orienteering Championships. "RSJPCA" from St Madoes Primary win the Central Area Championships.
- 22nd April - TAY's first club event of 2007 attracts a high turnout Our first event of 2007, at Mill of Fortune, attracted a healthy turnout, including a strong Army presence. Thanks to Fran Loots for organising...Mill of Fortune results now available.
- 27th March - Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Orienteering Championships. "The Road Runners" from Pitlochry Primary win the North Area Championships.
- 26th March - Tayside Orienteers crowned East of Scotland Orienteering Association Club Champions for 2007. Despite falling short in our attempt to qualify for the final of the Compass Sport Trophy, we did do enough at the Pitmedden event to win the ESOA club championship. Chairman Bill Melville was presented with the award at Scottish Orienteering League Event 2 at Gullane. Well done to everyone who contributed!
- 26th March - Perth and Kinross Primary Schools Orienteering Championships. Teams from Comrie Primary and Oakbank Primary win the West Area Championships and Perth Area Championships. See results for a full review of all the championships so far.
- 18th March - Compass Sport Trophy: The club just missed out on qualification for the UK final, despite a valiant effort at the Scottish final of the Compass Sport Trophy held at Pitmedden forest, and several fine individual performances. Congratulations to FVO, ESOC and RR who did qualify. Full results, see Compass Sport Trophy results - Pitmedden 18.03.07.
For an archived list of older news items, view the News Archive.
HOME | ABOUT THE CLUB | LATEST NEWS | FIXTURE LIST | RESULTS | CONTACT
If you have any problems or queries regarding this page or its contents, contact David Sloan - email: sloan758 @gmail.com