Ochils Long O 2012, Saturday 16th June
This year, our annual Long Orienteering event takes place at Culteuchar, Dron and Berryknowe on Saturday 16th June. Lower hills, but perhaps the best hill running in Perthshire...
Results are now available.
Routegadget to appear evening of Tuesday 19th June.
Friday 15 June Final details updated to include directions to parking, and safety information. Final Details in PDF format - for printing or storing and viewing on smartphones and tablet PCs.
Entrants must be over 18, competent at hill navigation and take part at their own risk.
- Nearly all grassy running, quite a few tracks/paths with some forestry and a windfarm.
- A 1:15,000 orienteering map will be provided. Note that on the short and the medium courses, there are a couple of new unmapped fences. However, the long course goes round the Lochelbank windfarm and there is a proliferation of new fences in the southern part of the map, in the main, not mapped. New vehicle tracks and lochans have been mapped, along with the wind turbines, but some new plantations have not been mapped (they do not impact the course). Only the largest clumps of gorse have been mapped. Note the area of the forest that was clear-felled for the windfarm has been marked with a slow-run hash, reflecting the slower going.
- From the A9, if travelling south, turn left at the top of the Cairnie Braes onto the B934; if travelling north, pass Auchterarder and after climbing up from Strathearn, turn right on the B934. Go downhill and at the T- junction turn right over the River Earn; go over the level crossing and then straight on; at the next T- junction turn left; then fork right uphill; at the next T- junction turn right and in 400 m follow the orienteering sign up a vehicle track.
From the M90, turn left into Bridge of Earn; cross the railway bridge and turn left on the B935; after Forgandenny, fork left at the next junction (in effect straight on); keep left to the orienteering sign at NO 077158.
- Car Parking
- Car parking (£1 per car), registration and download are all at Culteuchar Farm (OS Grid Reference NO077158). It is possible that cattle may have recently grazed in the car park field. Ensure appropriate care is taken with hygiene.
- Short: 9.3km, 470m (13 controls); Medium: 11.7km, 520m (16 controls); Long: 15.0km, 625m (14 controls).
- Entry on the day, but contact organiser/planner by Jun 12th to guarantee a colour map.
Seniors: £7.00. Juniors (aged 18 - 21) and Students: £4.00.
- Registration: 13.00 - 15.00. Starts: 13.15 - 15.30. START and FINISH are 10 mins walk from registration.
- Punching starts. Electronic SI punching will be used. No GPS navigation please.
- You must be appropriately clad for high (over 500m) and exposed terrain. If the weather is inclement, please carry a cagoule and whistle; also any food or drink you will need during your run. Exercise caution if you drink from burns - parts of the area are used for livestock.
- Organiser: Angela Dixon: 01383 738631 adixon @watt64.freeserve.co.uk; Planner: Dave Prentice: 01738 583345 dave_prentice @btinternet.com
NB Email addresses on this site are formatted in an effort to reduce the quantity of junk email sent to club members. To email a club member, please copy the email address above into your email programme, and remove the spaces. Sorry for any incovenience caused.
HOME | ABOUT THE CLUB | LATEST NEWS | FIXTURE LIST | RESULTS | CONTACT
If you have any problems or queries regarding this page or its contents, contact David Sloan - email: sloan758 @gmail.com